Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Guns of Navarone

When I was 15 years old Alistair MacLean was my favourite writer. There was also this other guy, Bagley, I think. Then Ken Follett showed up. I always looked through his books to find the sex scenes first, then I read the rest of it. There was no sex in MacLean's books. I tried rereading Where Eagles Dare when I was 18, but gave up after a few chapters. Then I discovered Stephen King.

Anyway...

The Guns of Navarone is based on the novel by MacLean; it's about Gregory Peck and a small group of men whose job it is to blow up the canons of, well, Navarone, I suppose, but uh-oh! There's a traitor among them! The film also stars David Niven, Anthony Quinn and that British character actor that always turns up in war movies from this period. Where's the guy with the blue eyes always playing a nazi officer? He's not in this film.

I thought this was supposed to be a classic film, but it's kind of boring actually. It has not aged well. The scene where they overwhelm the nazis is pretty silly. A bit more credibility would have been nice. Still, it's okay for a hungover Sunday, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment